Ao Dai (a traditional Vietnamese long dress) is not only a unique symbol of the feminine beauty, but is also a deeply ingrained part of our culture and mind. Despite overcoming some difficult times in the country’s history, Ao Dai has carried its national identity and spirit, and has never lost its unique vitality, since its creation. Almost unanimously, it is considered to be an outstanding work of art – a distinctive, elegant beauty of the Vietnamese.
A traditional Ao Dai usually has long sleeves, fits tight around a mandarin neckline and the breast area, and notably split on the sides from the waist to the ankle. Vietnamese woman typically wears them with loose pants under a high-necked, long-sleeved, fitted tunic with slits along each side. As people commonly say: “It covers everything, but hides nothing”. In other words, this type of dress covers the entire body, but it can still be considered provocative, especially when it’s made of thin and sheer fabric. Ao Dai also comes in different colors, materials, patterns, and designs.
Here are the top 5 places to tailor your own Ao Dai while you are in Saigon.
- Áo Dài Tiên. Address: 457/2 Cach mang thang 8, ward 13 district 10, HCM. Phone: +84 902 685 026. Website: chuyenmayaodai.com.
- Áo Dài Minh Thư. Address: 129 De Tham, ward Co Giang, district 1, HCM. Phone:+84 918 463 817. Website: aodaiminhthu.com.
- Áo Dài Mỹ Hạnh. Address: 659C Xo Viet Nghe Tinh, ward 26, district Bình Thanh, HCM. Phone: +84 907 951 011. Website: aodaimyhanh.com.
- Áo Dài Chú Ba. Address: 32/1 Nguyen Cuu Van, ward 17, district Binh Thanh. Phone: +84 907 848 085. Website: aodaichuba.com.
- Áo Dài Cẩm Tú. Address: 382/16 Dien Bien Phu, ward 11, district 10. Phone: +84 903 698 968. Website: aodaicamtu.com.